Seeking technical/artistic abilities and potential, as well as maturity and suitability for IB programming
The Nutcracker Auditions
Deadline to Pre-register: August 15, 2020
Audition Date: August 29, 2020
Audition Time: Assigned after pre-registration deadline
Audition Location: Somerville Center (2172 River Road)
International Ballet is requiring pre-registration for the Nutcracker audition. In addition, you must be an enrolled student at International Ballet to participate.
Due to current conditions of the pandemic, Nutcracker cast, rehearsals and performances will look very different this year. Please see below changes we are implementing that may or may not affect your decision to audition.
- Must be 8 years old by September 1, 2020.
- Must be enrolled as an IB student taking the minimum required ballet classes for your assigned level.
- Cast numbers will not exceed 60 members (past cast=90+). Audition does not guarantee casting.
- Siblings/parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait in the lobby before, after and during rehearsals. Families with multiple students in separate rehearsals must be able to drop off and pick up according to rehearsal schedule.
- Cast members will NOT be permitted in the building any earlier than 15 minutes prior to their rehearsal time. Cast members must leave promptly after rehearsals.
- Rehearsals will be scheduled in a way that minimizes wait time if cast members have multiple parts.
- The plan is to perform Nutcracker at the Peace Center on December 11-13, 2020. If the Peace Center is unable to open due to COVID-19 restrictions, we will need to pivot to our IB Theatre in the Halsey Studio at the Somerville Center. If the performance is in the IB Theatre, this could mean multiple week-ends of performances.
- IB cannot guarantee social distancing at all times during rehearsals and performances.
- Masks will be required in lobby and common areas. If government mandated, masks will be required in the studios.
- Parents and cast members will be expected to make responsible decisions when bringing their child to the studio or theatre. If student is showing signs of sickness (fever, cough, etc.), they should stay home.
- If cast, you will be required to sign-up for one volunteer duty. This volunteer duty can be fulfilled by cast member, sibling, parent, guardian, friend, etc. You can pay a volunteer opt-out fee of $100 if you do not want to volunteer.
- Cast members will be charged a $150 Nutcracker fee. This includes all rehearsals, costumes and one DVD. Siblings who are cast and do not want an additional DVD will be charged $125.
IBA Scholarship Audition – Ballet I-V
International Ballet maintains an audition-based scholarship program that includes financial-need consideration in its award process. The purpose of the program is to ensure that talented and motivated dancers, ages 6 to 18, are able to continue and progress in their ballet studies, regardless of their financial circumstances.
• Scholarship applicants complete an application, provide financial information and attend a ballet audition. An independent dance professional serves as the audition judge.
• Essential to each award is demonstrated commitment by both the student and their parents to serious dance training and the requirements of the scholarship award.
• All scholarship recipients are also expected to complete work assignments for the IBA studio. Scholarship recipients are also expected to participate in sponsor events and performances, when appropriate.
• Scholarships are awarded to dancers from ages 6-18 in Ballet levels 1-5. Auditions are held during September and awards apply to tuition from October through May.
• The IB Scholarship Program is funded by tax-deductible donations from generous Greenville community businesses, individuals and families committed to furthering training in the art of classical ballet for young people in our community. The number of scholarships awarded is based on current donations and is distributed among the dance levels.
JURGEN FORSTER BOYS SCHOLARSHIP
• Honoring IBA Co-Founder, Jurgen Forster
• Male students receive full (Ballet 2-5) and half (Ballet 1) scholarship
• In Memory of Cassandra Cook Gary, mother of IB/IBA Alumna, Cara Marie Gary
• Merit Scholarship (Need-Blind)
• Recipients must be a member of International Ballet’s Pre-Professional Company
• Applications (including a personal essay) reviewed by The Gary Family in consultation with IB Artistic Staff
The International Ballet Pre-Professional Company is a selective, audition-based performance group for the serious advanced dancer. IBCO dancers uphold minimum class requirements for their respective levels, also attending a weekly company class and designated rehearsals.
Dancers perform in International Ballet annual productions, such as L’Automne, The Nutcracker with the Greenville Symphony Orchestra, a Spring Ballet, and other community presentations such as school lecture demonstrations and guest appearances for community events. Dancers also perform at Storytime Ballet, a partnership with the Greenville County Library, and annually in the Greenville Symphony Orchestra’s “Holiday at Peace” concert and the Local Performing Artists Concert at Artisphere.
Company dancers perform challenging Classical repertoire as well as original works in Contemporary, Musical Theatre, or other relevant disciplines according to performance requirements, experience, and available choreographers, and may have additionally scheduled rehearsals during the performance season.
All current members as well as prospective members must audition. Current members may submit their audition information as an absentee if they will be out of town) to determine company level placement as well as for preliminary season casting purposes.
2020 Company Auditions
Thursday, May 14
Prospective Members: $15 Audition Fee
Current Company Members: Fee is Waived